This question troubled me. I really didn’t have an answer. Do I open a PO box? Do I forward my mail to a family or friend? Can the post office hold my mail until I get back? What about the REALLY important stuff that can’t be handled electronically?
How Does It Work?
The service provides an address to have mail forwarded to (with varying costs depending on location and type of address). From there they will accept all mail and scan an image of the envelope to an online account where I will be able to review and determine if I want the letter opened. If I do, I’ll pay a fee to have the contents scanned to my account. If I don’t, then I can recycle or shred the piece. Pretty cool.
Here’s a nice corporate promo video for you on the subject:
How Much Does It Cost?
Here’s the jist:
- $25 one-time fee to start service
- $19.95 / month
- 100 pieces of mail / month ($0.35 / piece after 100)
- A free Chicago PO box! (Did we get lucky? Other major cities start at $2.95 / month up to $29.95 / month)
- $1.50 / piece to scan to a virtual mailbox in black and white
- $2.00 / piece to scan to a virtual mailbox in color
Seems legit right? I’m going for it.